Monday, April 12, 2010

Buy Nothing Month

This is an experiment. Where in for the month of April, the year 2010, I will buy nothing.

I won't go clothes shopping. I won't even go grocery shopping. That's it. I'm not buying anything.

Anything, except: gas for my car. Milk for the fridge. The milk is mainly for Rob. The gasoline is, of course, so I can get to work.

Everything I already pay for (tolls, cell phone, utilities) I am going to pay. But I ain't buying anything else. If it happens in April it best be free, already something I own, or something I can make do without.

But, you ask, how am I supposed to do this?

Not without some pain...

Can't eat and drink out with friends. Can't buy new wheels for my rollerskates. Can't restock the English Breakfast tea tin. Gonna have to use up the Lipton.

Why am I doing this?

I am tired of the accumulation. Accumulation of stuff. What's the point? There is none. And, heading for destruction at my own hand, no less. "Buying things you don't need, with money you don't have," says George Carlin. Getting fed up with it.

So peppered among other posts here I will let you know how I am doing, at Buy Nothing. At the end of the month I'll have a tally on how much money I saved and how bare my pantry is. I am somewhat unfortunately cooking for two (myself and Rob, unwittingly along for the ride) but I am actually inspired by the whole experiment.

I am a clever lass who is of the ilk already to find solutions by my own hands. With hope this will sharpen those skills further.

All I have is all I need. That is the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment